Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Food as of late

I haven't kept up with posting my "winning recipes" for months. I wish I had because I've tried so many recipes since September (Shh, I know, I said I'm really behind) that I wish I had shared when I could remember what they were. So this is a super basic and short post sharing a couple of the recipes I've tried as of late.

For Thanksgiving we bought two small turkey breasts that we made for two separate meals. I used two separate recipes, just for fun, and this is my verdict:

YES
Oven-Roasted Turkey Breast
The recipe
We oven roasted this turkey breast and because of my poor planning I wasn't even able to follow the directions all that well and this turkey still turned out delicious. It was a mini Thanksgiving!


NO
The recipe
I'm sure this turned out well for someone out there, but it was really not very good for us. It had the texture of roast beef and little to no flavor. It's another example of something that should just probably not be made in a crock pot.

Chickadilla Soup
( Sorry, no picture)

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
30 oz diced tomatoes
10 oz mild enchilada sauce
4 oz chopped mild green chilies
1 quart chicken broth
2 15 oz cans of black or pinto beans
10 oz frozen corn
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp cumin, chili powder and salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Place all ingredients into a 6 qt slow cooker. Mix. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.
After a few hours, once chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from pot, shred and return to pot for remaining cook time. Add serving options per taste. 

Serving suggestions: tortilla chips, hot sauce, sour cream, lime wedges, fresh avocado, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro.

I loved this soup. It's from Kashi where their tagline says, "A kid-friendly recipe with good stuff inside" and they were for real. Bella helped me make it and ate it really well - all 7 days it fed us. It says it freezes well so I made it for a friend after she had her baby and I think it froze well for her. This is definitely one of my favorite new recipes. 

Basic Cranberry Sauce
Basic Cranberry Sauce Recipe
The recipe

I really am not a fan of cranberries or cranberry sauce but for our mini Thanksgiving that I mentioned earlier I was interested in trying this recipe that involved orange juice and honey. It turned out well but hasn't won me over to cranberries, yet. 

Hearty Quinoa and Corn Chowder
Hearty Quinoa & Corn Chowder Recipe
The recipe
This new chowder I tried is seriously worth doing. Just take my word for it. I did replace the bell peppers with mushrooms only because we love mushrooms and don't care for peppers. 


Green Chili Enchilada Bake
The recipe

I made this last week and didn't have the sour cream the recipe called for. I wasn't totally happy with it and thought of several things I wanted to add - enough so that I made it again this week. It's almost funny how many changes I made to it by the end. The original recipe is linked above. Below I'll post my own wacked out version of it. 

Green Chili Enchilada Bake: Take 2
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
3/4 cup salsa verde, mild
12 white corn tortillas broken into 1 inch pieces
2 cups cooked chicken
1 15 oz can black beans, drained
shredded cheese (why would you ever measure cheese, just dump it on)
1 box Rice A Roni Spanish Rice 
1 can Rotel (mild) in place of diced tomatoes with the Spanish Rice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. 
2. Prepare Rice A Roni Spanish Rice
3. Combine all ingredients into baking dish, including prepared Rice A Roni. Top with cheese.
5. Bake for 22 - 25 minutes until cheese is melted. 
Done

I will add that my husband said several times that he loved this version compared to the other. So, it's not just my pregnant self that liked it a lot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment