Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme

I used to love Taco Bell. When I wanted "Mexican" food, that meant I wanted Taco Bell. I know, it's laughable. And I've really only ever ordered two things. First it was always a Grilled Stuft Burrito. Now it's a Crunchwrap Supreme. (I say "now" loosely because I don't remember the last time I went to a Taco Bell. Wait, I just remembered. It was a few months ago. Before that though, it was a long time. Probably, like, another few months.)
That being said, I was super intrigued by this "homemade" version. I kept my expectations low and was, I'm so sorry pardon my pun, Supremely surprised! (I'm really sorry about that.)

The instructions get really confusing to me, so I attempted a picture tutorial to accompany the instructions. 


Recipe and picture from Mary Quite Contrary Bakes


Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme

12 "burrito size" flour tortillas
6 corn tortillas
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning of your choice
 1 jar of taco cheese (found in the same aisle as the Mexican foods/or chips)
(I have NO idea what that means but I couldn't find it and used a jar of Salsa Con Queso instead)
1 container of sour cream
 3-4 tomatoes (depending on size)
1 bag/head of iceberg lettuce

**Please note these quantities and measurements for filling crunch wraps are estimates. You should adjust filling amounts to suit your own taste.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Use one corn tortilla to cut a circle of the same size out of 6 of the flour tortillas.  Put the 6 cut out flour tortillas aside.  (Reserve outside of the 6 flour tortillas for making homemade tortilla chips if desired.)  
Sidenote: I didn't do that. I cheated and used a smaller size of packaged flour tortillas. I had to trim some of the medium tortillas so the larger tortilla could wrap around it but I found this to be easier for me than tracing and cutting tortillas.

Place 6 corn tortillas on a baking sheet and bake until crispy (I would recommend starting with 5 minutes and then checking every 2-3 minutes until they are done to your liking).  Put oven to "warm".  

Cook the ground beef with the taco seasoning as directed on packet and set aside (I actually used homemade taco seasoning I got from here).  


Chop tomatoes and lettuce.  


Have a medium size skillet ready on the stove and have a counter surface with all of your ingredients ready to assemble.  

Microwave a full size flour tortilla for about 10 seconds (or until warm) and lay onto counter surface.  


Place some ground beef in the center of the tortilla 


and top with some of the cheese. 


 Lay a corn tortilla on top and press down slightly.  


Top corn tortilla with some sour cream (I did about 1-2 TBSP) 


and some chopped lettuce and tomato.  


Top entire thing with one of the cut out flour tortillas that are the same size as the corn tortilla. 


Fold each side of the larger tortilla up until all the filling is covered, pressing down to somewhat seal it.
First attempted crunchwrap

Second attempt - perfection

Spray the cooking pan lightly with cooking spray and place the crunch wrap into it, seam side down.  


Cook on low-medium, pushing down lightly with a spatula, for 2-3 minutes on each side. 


Place on serving pan in oven to keep warm until ready to eat.  Continue with other ingredients until you have made all the crunch wraps.

 Enjoy! Bella did!

No comments:

Post a Comment