Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Baked Blueberry French Toast

My girls and I really enjoy this breakfast. So much so that I can't really speak for my husband because there's not usually much left for him. (Sorry babe.) My girls' favorite part are the blueberries. I love that it feels like I'm putting some effort into breakfast without it taking forever (from prep to finish it takes about 40 minutes). 

The recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine so just knowing that the odds are that it's worth at least trying. It's technically called "Baked French Toast with Blueberry Sauce" which sounds fancier but I don't call it that. Because I'm not fancy this time.



Baked Blueberry French Toast 

1/4 cup butter, melted
4 eggs
1 cup 2% milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
8 slices texas toast (I actually use Oroweat's Oatnut bread and love it)

Blueberry sauce:
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves (I actually leave this out sometimes because cloves make me feel like I'm eating a Christmas candle)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Tbsp thawed orange juice concentrate (I've actually used regular ol' orange juice and been happy with how it turned out)

Pour melted butter on a 15 in x 10 in x 1 in baking pan; lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. 
In a large shallow bowl whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture; place on prepared pan. 
Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in the blueberries and orange juice concentrate. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Serve with toast. (Doi.)

No comments:

Post a Comment