Saturday, August 25, 2012

Winning recipes from the week

This was a week of very successful new recipes and even a favorite from last week!

While Palmer and the staff were in North Carolina, I stayed with my parents so I could get a slight break and so Bella could have a fun weekend with Nana and Papa.

 I made these enchiladas again for us all to have and my parents also commented several times on how good they were. They even echoed a comment I had made that they were better than most enchiladas I've ordered in a restaurant! This is not at all to say how great of a cook I am, just to state that if you're looking for a good enchilada recipe, this is it.

Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. Photo by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
The Recipe

And this recipe WAS toddler approved!

I also made these Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps and they were also really good. I actually made them twice because I had extra tortillas and both times they were a little different. That's something I love in a recipe though - when you can make as many variations as you can think of. The first time I only added the cilantro and lemon juice to the rice so it had the light flavor of Chipotle's rice (uh, YES PLEASE!) and skipped adding the chili powder and cumin. It was a little more bland that way but with salsa it was great.
The next time I made it I added all of the spices it called for and it was just as good, just had a slight kick to it. I don't like things that are spicy and adding the chili powder didn't make it too spicy for Bella or I. I also added lettuce into the crap trying to mimic a Chipotle burrito (I love the fresh and cold crisp of the lettuce in their burritos) but it didn't turn out the way I had liked it too. Next time I'll try just adding the lettuce to the top.
The Recipe

I can't say this one was approved by my toddler because she's a little finicky when it comes to toasted breads. She ate part of the chicken contents once, the other time it was a chore to get her to try it. It's a great family dinner recipe though, in my opinion, so I'll be making it again whether she likes it or not. :)

Finally, we tried a Honey Butter Pork Tenderloin recipe I found on Pinterest. Palmer's parents came over for dinner and it turned out to be a great recipe to make for visiting company. It was really very easy yet tasted like it wasn't. My only complaint was that it didn't easily feed the 4 1/2 of us (4 adults plus Bella) so if I make it again I may try to buy a bigger pork tenderloin or make two of them.
The Recipe

This was DEFINITELY toddler approved! Bella had seconds, which is very unusual for her when we're not having macaroni and cheese!

I also tried a potato salad recipe to go with the tenderloin and I didn't care for it at all. Palmer and his parents said they really liked it, however. I decided to post the recipe in case anyone else wants to try it. I love potato salad and I guess am very picky about the way I like it. That's why I thought I would post the recipe because maybe someone will try it and love the sweetness of it, which were what I didn't like.
Grandma's Potato Salad Recipe
The Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment